Thursday, July 18, 2013

Introduction

Hello world,

My friend Jackie Anderson convinced me that I needed to start a blog. I've been thinking about it for a few days and she may just be right.

I've had a few thoughts rolling around in my head and I already feel a novel coming on but I will try really hard to stick with shorter blog posts so I don't lose you with my long windedness.

So, where to start?

Addiction possibly? How I got fat in the first place? Acceptance? Denial?

Maybe I will just start at the beginning.

I was born in 1972, a normal healthy baby. I grew up a skinny little girl until around the 2nd grade. What changed? I've been thinking about that a lot and this is what I think happened.

My dad was awesome! I adored him. I was his little girl and he is what I aspired to be. In reality, he had a food addiction. He was a compulsive overeater and as his little protégé, I soon became one as well.

Our lives were surrounded with food. We, as a family, went out to dinner several nights a week. Donuts, cakes, cookies, chips, soda and chocolate milk were staples in our house.

I watched my dad eat and so I joined him. His dinner, at Walgreens restaurant, included a double cheeseburger, fries, chili and usually a dessert like a banana split. Here I am, little bitty thing, eating the same amount of food as a grown man. I was proud. See Daddy, I'm just like you!

It didn't take very long before I was the fattest girl in my glass. I vividly remember, in 2nd grade, having to go to the nurses office with my class to have our weights checked. Oh, the horror. I weighed 102lbs. The fattest boy, weighed just a little bit over that.

3rd grade came and my dad and teacher wanted me to play soccer. So I did. We had to wear tank top shirts and I remember some of my team mates making fun of the fat right between my chest and arm. You know that little pinch of fat that shows up when you start getting chubby. That is really the first time I remember anyone making fun of me because of my weight but it wouldn't be the last time.

 
This is my older sister Cindy and I. If I had to guess, I would say I was about 3 or 4 here.
 
Here I am on the soccer team. I am front and center. That is my dad on the top right. This may have been my team in my 4th grade year.
 
 A look at my weight gain throughout my early years.
 
Kindergarten
 
1st grade
 
2nd grade
 
3rd grade
 
5th grade
 
6th grade
 
7th grade
 
9th grade
(Please forgive my hair! It was the 1980's)

No comments:

Post a Comment